NUS News

Victor Zhu from the graduating Class of 2020 (NUS Faculty of Science), is the co-founder and CEO of Hatch, an impact-driven social enterprise he founded and incubated with two like-minded friends during his undergraduate years at NUS Ridge View Residential College (RVRC).

Victor first conceptualised Hatch in his second year at NUS. His RVRC lecturers encouraged him to get started despite not having all the answers. The journey was not all smooth sailing. Wracked with self-doubt and juggling responsibilities of being both an undergraduate and a start-up founder, Victor found support and encouragement in the RVRC community.

One of his lecturers, Ms. Sadaf, connected him with an expert in social innovation who provided valuable insights that helped Hatch’s growth in the early stages. He also recalled other experiences in RVRC that have shaped his personal philosophy as an entrepreneur, remembering a conversation he had with Prof. Adekunle, the RVRC College Master who stressed on the importance of living with boldness.

“In my work now, I’m frequently confronted with the decision of whether to be bold or play it safe. The conversation had really helped me to appreciate how boldness is a rare but necessary commodity in bringing about the change that I want to see,” he said.

“Looking back, I think that’s the power of a supportive community that I will always remember and appreciate.”

https://news.nus.edu.sg/paving-the-road-social-entrepreneurship/

• Homepage
  • News
  • RVRC Alumni lead the way in Social Entrepreneurship